Friday, September 28, 2012

Wedding Trend: Mismatched Bridesmaids

In the world of weddings, it is difficult not to follow at least some trends. One that I cannot get enough of is mismatched bridesmaids dresses. I chose to have my bridesmaids in different dresses and when I told people this, I usually got, "Ohhhh... okay... yes..." No one understood!

I liked the idea of mismatched dresses for many reasons. With three different body types, I knew that narrowing down one specific dress would be next to impossible, or at the very least, a frustrating experience for all of them. I wanted them to feel comfortable in what they were wearing. And, if they could wear the dresses again - bonus! All I asked for was a certain colour scheme and that it paired well with cowboy boots. The girls shopped on their own time and sent me pictures as they found potential winners. In addition to that, our wedding was not too "fancy"; we were married at a winery in a barn-style venue. The groomsmen wore ties and vests, but no jackets. To me, mismatched dresses fit well with our "theme."

Of course, there are different ways to go about it. You could choose to have bridesmaids in relatively the same dress; just choosing different styles that might flatter their body type (ie: one in halter style, one in strapless, etc). Alternatively, you could give your girls some direction, such as colour scheme, and let them go nuts.

A couple of ways to go with mismatched bridesmaids and still achieve a pulled together look?
Choose the same bouquet for all of the bridesmaids
Choose to have the groomsmen all match (but still coordinating well with the bridesmaids)

Here are some of my favourites:







  

  • Did you or would you do mismatched bridesmaids dresses?



1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just read your comment on my blog so I thought I'd stop by and say hello :)

    this is such a coincidence because I JUST spent 5 hours looking at wedding photos from a photographer's blog. i love weddings :')

    personally, i like it when all the bridemaids dressing are matching because there's a uniformity and simplicity to it but i can see how having different dresses are nice too!

    ReplyDelete